What is the Solar Plexus (Manipura Chakra)
Solar Plexus Chakra, also termed as Manipura Chakra is the third chakra amongst the 7-chakra system-the energy center regulating our ability to be confident, assertive, and make decisions from inner wisdom.
It’s the key and channel for unlocking and unraveling our power and building a strong sense of self, the imbalance of which leads us to a sense of insecurity, self-doubt, and lack of direction in life.
Manipura Chakra spreads fire elements into the body bringing in warmth, energy, light, and wisdom, which’s also the energy center of samana vayu or samana prana-energy of digestion.
Intellect, ego, willpower, and aggression are commonplace qualities/attributes of the third chakra. Solar Plexus Chakra is located from the Naval to the four fingerbreadths above the navel, just below the rib cage, precisely, on the line from the end of the sternum to the navel.
Manipura Chakra, in other words, Solar Plexus Chakra denoting ‘place of shining gem’, is the energy center of fire, with fire being the shiniest element amongst all the five elements. Henceforth, the third chakra is known as the place of fire or Manipura Chakra.
What’s Solar Plexus Chakra accountable for?
Solar Plexus Chakra, being the energy center of fire element and fire prana (Samana), receives elements from the effervescent Sun and food comprising of heat and Samana energy.
When the third chakra is in balance, one feels self-confident, self-motivated having a sense of purpose. When engulfed with negative vibes or energy, one experiences low self-esteem and suffers from control issues.
Imbalances also result in lethargy or fatigue, excessive weight gain, overeating, digestive system malfunctions, hypoglycemia, and diabetes.
Characteristics of Manipura Chakra/Solar Plexus Chakra
The color associated with Solar Plexus Chakra constitutes yellow, reflecting the yellow hue of the fire element, which symbolizes energy, intellect, and connection you possess with fire and Sun -eternal source of Energy.
Furthermore, the yellow chakra stands for youth, new beginnings or innings in life, and re-birth, whereby connecting us with knowledge and intellect.
The element of Solar Plexus Chakra is fire or Agni, obtained directly from sunlight, as well as from foods absorbing sun rays. Fire activates prana samana-the quintessential life force needed for digestion and metabolism.
Moreover, the element of fire ignites the light of consciousness motivating us to strive towards success and good and sound health. However, spending too much time on the third chakra leads to burnout, and not nurturing and developing it results in you feeling weak and exhausted, fearful, and inert.
Manipura Chakra & Emotions
Discernible Physical Signs & Symptoms of Solar Plexus Chakra/Manipura Chakra Blockage:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Eating disorders
- Abnormal & excessive weight gain
- Issues about the pancreas, liver & colon
- Sensitive or bleeding gums
Visible Emotional Signs & Symptoms of Solar Plexus Chakra/Manipura Chakra Blockage
- Overanalysis (paralysis by analysis)
- Uncontrolled anger & irritation
- Low self-confidence
- Doubt & mistrust towards people in life
- Insecurity & low self-esteem
- Need for continuous approval and confirmation from others
- Unhealthy attachments to people in life
- Rigid & controlling behavioral patterns
- Self-victimizing mentality
- Lack of direction & motivation
- Having a tough time setting boundaries
Signs of Solar Plexus Chakra Opening
- Strong sense of self-confidence and belief in self-worth
- A clear sense of personal identity & purpose
- Feeling empowered to take action towards the fulfillment of goals & aspirations
- Good digestion along with healthy metabolism
- Sense of inner strength & resilience
- Ability to make decisions with ease & reliability in oneself
- Willingness to take risks by stepping out of one’s comfort zone
- Clarity of mind
- In charge of emotions
Ways of unblocking, healing, and connecting to Solar Plexus Chakra
Cleansing and opening yellow chakra enable you to become a better leader, aiding you in envisioning your dream life.
Be it learning energy healing techniques or a course related to a chakra or simply incorporating Solar Plexus yoga postures into your daily routine, the vital energies would be perfectly in active alignment that will give you balanced, organized life full of contentment and happiness.
Below are ways to clear Solar Plexus Chakra blockages and realign your energy:
Solar Plexus Chakra/Manipura Chakra Meditation
In Solar Plexus Chakra Meditation, you focus all energy on the blocked chakra, driving energy to the navel by chanting the seed mantra ‘Rangm’ whilst positioning hands in Agni Mudra.
Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmations
Repeat this chakra affirmation regarding personal power either out loud, in heads, or by writing them down.
- I feel calm, composed, confident & powerful.
- I feel prepped to face challenges/adversities.
- I feel motivated to pursue my dream/purpose.
- I’m ambitious and capable.
- I forgive myself for past errors/mistakes and learn from them.
- I’m able to create positive changes in my life.
- I stand in my power.
- I pay obeisance to the power within me.
- I’m open to new, innovative ideas.
- I don’t need others’ nod of approval.
- I’m gutsy and courageous.
- The only thing I need to work on is my control in response to situations.
Enhance Well-Being with Solar Plexus Chakra Yoga Poses
Classical Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana):
- Sit on a yoga mat with extended legs, either together or hip-width apart.
- Reach up tall so that you’re sitting high up on sitting bones.
- Raise both arms towards the ceiling whilst inhaling, until they’re in line with ears.
- Exhale & bend in a forward position, reaching with hands towards the toes.
- Bring nose to knees, or if you feel discomfort, hold ankles, shins, and knees.
Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Lie down on your abdomen with your forehead on the floor, knees shoulder-width apart.
- Bend knees, holding ankles from outside with elbows being straight.
- Breathe in, pushing feet into hands, lifting chest and knees, and looking diagonally in an upward direction.
Half Spinal Twist (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Sit with legs stretched out in front.
- Bend the right leg, bringing the heel to the left hip, making sure both hips are on the floor.
- Cross left foot over right knee, placing it on the floor.
- Place left hand behind the spine, palm flat on the floor (if possible).
- Reach up with your right hand, and bring your right elbow to the outside of your left knee. If flexibility permits, hold onto the left ankle.
- Twist gently toward the left, looking over the shoulder.
Upward Plank Pose (Purvottanasana)
- In a comfortable seated posture, extend your legs straight in front.
- Position hands next to hips with fingers pointing towards feet.
- Lift your shoulders towards your ears, arching your chest, and leaning in a backward position until your hands rest on the ground.
- Inhale deeply whilst pointing feet, raising hips, and expanding the chest, simultaneously gently tilting head backward.
- Continue to lift the pelvis in an upward direction, pressing feet into the ground whilst enabling shoulders to roll back and chest to open.
Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Start by lying face down with legs and feet close together, with forehead resting on the ground.
- Place palms on the floor next to the chest.
- Keep elbows close to the body, pointing in an upward direction.
- Inhale deeply whilst pressing the belly button into the floor, lifting the head and chest off the ground.
- Hold the yoga pose, breathing comfortably and naturally.
Learn Manipura Chakra/Solar Plexus Chakra at Diya Yoga – Yoga Alliance RYS200 school located at the beautiful beach of Arambol, North Goa, India.
Our best yoga teacher training programs fuse ancient Vedic knowledge with modern asanas taught by skilled Indian and International yoga exponents. We decipher comprehensive theoretical and practical training programs during our 25-day structured course.
Upon completion of our 200-hour teacher training program (YTT course), you’ll emerge as a confident teacher imparting lessons to wannabes.
Join us in our noble endeavor to spread the all-round benefits of yoga across the length and breadth of the country!